JOB ANNOUNCEMENT: Administrative Director
Grand Prairie Friends (GPF) seeks applicants for a part-time (20 hours per week) Administrative Director to assist with administrative tasks of its land conservation and trail planning activities.
GPF owns about 700 acres of natural lands at 11 properties in parts of Iroquois, Champaign, Vermilion, Shelby, and Coles counties. The largest holdings (close to 600 acres) are forested lands in Coles County south of Charleston. In addition, GPF helps steward other prairie and woodland natural areas in east-central Illinois on private and public land.
- Provide a “point of contact” for Grand Prairie Friends that includes monitoring and responding to mail and email and assisting with website content upkeep;
- Develop and implement outreach strategies to grow the member and volunteer base in east-central Illinois and raise the profile of the organization;
- Assist in developing and carrying out fundraising efforts in support of GPF’s conservation mission and goals;
- Identify grant opportunities and other funding sources to support management, property acquisition, and stewardship activities and coordinate the preparation of the appropriate applications and documentation;
- Coles County activities:
- Take a lead role in planning activities that leads to development and construction of hiking trails through GPF properties in Coles County;
- Provide leadership for GPF’s involvement in a multi-use trail in Coles County;
- Communicate and coordinate activities with partners on stewardship and trail projects (e.g. Embarras Volunteers Stewards, Lumpkin Family Foundation, Trails for Illinois, Coles County Regional Planning Commission, City of Charleston)
- Develop a list of landowners for properties adjacent to GPF sites. Reach out and maintain contact with these neighbors to keep them informed of stewardship and other activities on GPF properties;
- Assist GPF with other activities including, but not limited to:
- Assist with farm contracts and leases;
- Assist with federal farm and conservation payment programs (e.g. CRP);
- Enhance organizational capabilities;
- Maintain a clear record of job activities and provide reports to the GPF Board of Directors as requested.
Qualifications and Requirements:
Applicant should bring a strong work and conservation ethic, and should be highly self-motivated, attentive to detail, and able to work with little or no direct supervision. Applicant should have good problem-solving and communication skills. Applicant must be comfortable interacting with public groups and volunteers and have good interpersonal skills. Preference will be given to applicants with knowledge of not-for-profit organizations, prior work with volunteers, and knowledge of land conservation. Applicants with a college degree will be preferred. Must possess a valid Illinois driver’s license.
$20-30/hour commensurate with experience. Mileage reimbursement also available as needed.
Application open until position filled. To ensure full consideration, please send letter of application, resume, and contact information for three references to:
James Ellis (james.ellis72 [at] gmail [dot] com)
re: Grand Prairie Friends-Administrative Director
Specific questions regarding this position can be directed to James Ellis or Dave Easter (james.ellis72 [at] gmail [dot] com or 217.244.5695; d.a.easter [at] att [dot] net).
GPF is an all-volunteer not-for-profit conservation organization and land trust with a small but dedicated cadre of members. Our mission is to preserve and restore natural communities in east-central Illinois and promote an understanding and appreciation of natural resources. We carry out this mission by acquiring, protecting, and managing land and educating local citizens about the importance of our natural world. We were formed in 1984 to protect a small railroad prairie remnant in Champaign County, and since that time we have expanded our focus to include both prairie and forest conservation. More information about GPF can be found at grandprairiefriends.org and join us at facebook.com/grandprairiefriends.