Welles Cemetery Prairie
Ownership: Compromise Cemetery Association
Protected: about 1978
Size: 1 Acre
This remnant is located in a small, unused corner of Welles Cemetery, which was established in 1873 and is still being used for burials. The remnant area was originally seeded with lawn grass and mowed along with the rest of the cemetery, but prairie plants remained. Starting in the late 1970's the area was burned regularly, invasive trees were cut out, and the native plants began to return. In the mid-1980's, Grand Prairie Friends built a fence to further protect the remnant. Within this prairie, and among the headstones of the cemetery, is the only naturally occurring population of side oats grama (Bouteloua curtipendula) in Champaign County.
How to get there: From Champaign-Urbana take US 45 north to Rantoul, then turn right on US 136. Take this past Gifford, and turn right on 2500N. The cemetery will be on the .5 mi down the road on the right just past the creek. Park on the side of the road.